The weather is getting colder and it’s natural to feel like you need something a bit more substantial to eat. This bean burger recipe will fill the hole, and it’s meat free.
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1/3 cup of oats
- 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsbp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Vegetable stock cube
1) Mash the beans in a bowl
2) Add everything else except for the breadcrumbs to the bowl, and mix well.
3) Add the breadcrumbs gradually, mixing as you go, until the mixture starts holding together as a thick paste.
4) Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and spoon some of the mixture into a crumpet ring on the paper. Lightly press the mixture into the crumpet ring, to make a firm burger.
5) Remove the crumpet ring and repeat the process until you run out of mixture.
6) Drizzle a little oil over the top of the burgers, and bake them for about 20 minutes at 180°C.
7) Serve with green vegetables and potatoes for a meat-free alternative to a Sunday roast, or with chips and a bun.