Never underestimate the power of cake! A well made fruit cake will keep for months, so it’s a great way to preserve eggs. The recipe for fruit cake is very flexible, and the real secret is to cook it low and slow.
- 250g of butter
- 250g of sugar
- 200g of plain flour
- 1kg of dried fruit
- A cup of strong tea
- 50ml rum
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 4 eggs
- Put the hot tea, rum, sugar, mixed spice, and melted butter into a large pan, and heat it until it almost boils.
- Remove from the heat and add the the dried fruit. Leave the mixture to stand for at least two hours.
- Stir in the eggs, and then gradually sift in the flour. You can add a handful of nuts or seeds at this point.
- Preheat the oven to about 140 centigrade, and bake the mixture in a cake tin for between 2-4 hours. The cake is ready when the top is firm, and a metal skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Seal the sides and top of the cake with marmalade, and then add marzipan and icing.
- If you want the cake to last longer, prick the bottom with a skewer and feed it with a little alcohol.